Monday, December 14, 2009

The Necessity of Cocooning

Do you ever have that feeling that the universe wants you to take some time off from focusing on the external world? Either there is less pull from the outside world for you to participate or you feel a drawing inward, a need to turn your attention to that still, small voice within.

Like a fall leaf curling in on itself, I find myself cocooning more in the winter months - and the outside world seems to reflect that intent. Falling snow silences the noises of the busy street. Darkness comes earlier each day, inviting me to cease my daytime activities and grow introspective.

I prefer to finish my Christmas preparations early in December, because the latter half of the month always requires of me a stock-taking for the coming year. I want to give myself that time to take care of any loose ends in the office, clearing away old paperwork to make for a fresh start in January. More importantly though, I want to sit quietly, with the snow muffling the world outside, with the dogs sleeping at my feet, with the darkness prodding me inward to listen to the voice I've been too busy to heed. It reminds me of who I am and my purpose on the planet. It gives me my footing so I know come January what my next step should be.

In the new year, I will venture outward again, each day growing brighter with the increasing daylight, my sense of purpose and the energy to activate it gaining with the change of season. Gradually, I will shuck my cocoon, more sure of myself and my goals, moving with the promise of fulfillment that always comes with the spring.

No comments: