Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Therapeutic Touch for Animals: A Day in the Life of a Practitioner

I've just arrived home from the office and the phone is ringing. Sue Meech at the Sandy Pines Animal Rescue Centre is calling. Can I go to a location in my town and pick up an injured bird? As a volunteer driver for Sandy Pines, I'm happy to comply.


I arrive at the location minutes later to find a very frightened and injured seagull in a cardboard box. I carefully set the box down in the car and perform Therapeutic Touch on the restless creature. She begins to calm down. During the drive, however, she becomes agitated by the journey and tries to free herself from her confines. "We've got a feisty one here," I tell the attendants when I arrive.


We take her into the flight cage where I can administer more Therapeutic Touch. She's hungry and scared but not too badly hurt. She'll make it. Not all of them do, but I have the honour of easing their passage with the modality in which I'm trained. Before I leave, I tend to other birds, and I calm a dog who's injured and terrified.


Since Therapeutic Touch works on the energy field of living things, it's not necessary to use physical contact (though it's desirable in some circumstances). This makes it immensely useful when treating animals that would be dangerous if handled. Therapeutic Touch can ease pain and it induces a state of deep relaxation. Animals are very sensitive to it and tend to respond well to the process. They will also let you know when they've had enough by moving away from you.


I arrive home to relax with my dogs, regular recipients of Therapeutic Touch along with our two cats. As evening descends, I hear a strange cry from one of the cats outside the front door. He has brought home a mouse - and it's still alive. I get him to drop it gently on the ground, and I take the cat inside the house where he can't cause further injury. I perform Therapeutic Touch on the mouse, which is breathing but not moving, even when I gently touch it to assess how badly injured it is. I do some more work on the mouse and step inside to get a towel for it, fearing the worst.


When I come back out, the mouse is upright. It peers at me quizzically before scurrying across the stone path and under the deck to a safe crevice. Apparently, a small dose of energy was all that was needed. It's been a good day for Therapeutic Touch.

(Bukisa ID #125455)

Content Source: Therapeutic Touch for Animals: A Day in the Life of a Practitioner - Bukisa.com

No comments: